Saturday 14 August 2010

how cruel can it be

I took the day off from work last Friday - had to undergo drug test for my driver's license and I had to go to the bank for my bank certificate. Late that afternoon, I went to the office to meet with the groupmates and together, go to Jom's place for his farewell party before he flies to Singapore next week and lead a new life.

While we were having our dinner, I casually asked Kristine on the latest news in the office, thinking she would just update me on another funny yet mundane happening. And so I totally wasn't prepared to hear the news she told me - that 4 JGC managers working for IGD Pj were killed in a road accident in Abu Dhabi. My eyes must have been as big as saucers as I exclaimed "WHAAAAT??! HOW? WHEN? WHY??!!". My heart sank as I hear more of the story and yet my mind still can't comprehend what happened and why it happened. As talk went to the subject of overspeeding in the Middle East, I thought of the possibility that my special someone would get to be assigned at site every now and then and my heart was gripped with fear. Worry now settled in as well as I thought about what he must have felt about the incident.

Of course, like a lot of people, I'm angry with the truck driver who was so reckless that he didn't check any oncoming traffic thus killing 5 people. But foremost in my thoughts was how unprepared those 5 must have been with their deaths. They were not able to say goodbye to their loved ones, were not able to say their farewells and to express their thoughts and feelings to the people who are important to them. Their dreams and aspirations just cut off, with nary a warning. It was such a tragedy.

And yes, how sad and cruel it is to die without even saying goodbye to those dearest to you...

This tragedy has a lot of effects in a lot of facets with big resulting complications. I can only hope that their deaths will bring about good changes in Abu Dhabi's traffic laws. In that way, their deaths won't be in vain.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/4-japanese-among-5-killed-in-traffic-accident-in-abu-dhabi

This reminds me yet again though, to tell your loved ones, everyday, as often as you can, how special they are to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment