Monday 15 February 2010

seesaws and swings

I never did like the seesaw when I was a kid. Of course any other kid would want to be on the "up" side. But then much of your happiness on being on the "up" side depends on the kid on the other end of the seesaw. It was not only the being up and down that is dependent on the other kid. The rythmn as well as the speed of being on the up and down was dependent on your playmate as well. I remember making a number of strategies, sort of cheating, yes, just so I would always be on top or at least just be on the same level with the other kid - if I can't be on top then the other kid can't be on top as well. Hence, I cunningly adjust my seating position from the central axis depending on the weight of the kid on the other end. Hence, it was not always a fun game.

I liked the swing better, even up to now (although my liking it up to now has a bit of the romantic in me working). I think why I liked it better as a kid was that you can be happy on your own. If you want to be as high and as "up" as you want to be you can just propel yourself as hard as you can. If you want to slow things down, you can just use your feet as break and you're swinging in slow motion already. You can be up whenever you like. And when you want to slow things down, it will also be at your own pace. I loved it.

But in a way, it is lonely. You are enjoying it, alone.

The seesaw would be good now. As long as you don't mind being on the downside sometimes just so your partner can be on the up side. This would be okay as long as your partner would also be happy to have you on the up side for as long as you want to. You can keep the seesaw going for as long as you and your partner wants. There would be no cheating now. It should be a matter of give and take. Being mindful of your partner's happiness as your partner is mindful of yours. Give and take.

No comments:

Post a Comment